RT-PCR or purchase cDNA library?

Steven Goldberg goldberg at bms.com
Mon Oct 14 15:45:38 EST 1996

I am planning to screen a rabbit liver library for a gene.  I have
sufficient information to make RT-PCR feasible and can buy poly A RNA
prepared from this organ. Or I could get the cloned cDNA library and use
it.  The poly A RNA is about 5-fold less expensive than a library, which
is a consideration, but I have not had any experience with RT-PCR.  If
someone has used this technique I would be interested in hearing your
opinion and a recommendation for a kit if you were pleased with the
results.  Is RT-PCR sufficiently reliable that someone who is familiar
with PCR can use it without a long learning curve (time is somewhat of a
factor)?

Thanks for any responses.

Steve