phosphocellulose longevity

Dima Klenchin klenchin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 14 18:53:20 EST 1996

In article <961014142939.2e612f87 at AZCC.Arizona.EDU>,
   JMARTINEZ at AZCC.ARIZONA.EDU wrote:
->How fragile is phosphocellulose?  I need to prepare a phosphocellulose
column
->as part of a fractionation protocol and would like to calibrate it with
some
->test mixtures before I put the real stuff on.  However, if I interpret
->Whatman's product literature phosphocellulose cannot be left in aqueous
buffers
->for any length of time.  Is this correct?  What do you chromatography
experts
->do when using phosphocellulose?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

I posted the same Q here about half a year ago and, basically,
everyone (with one exception) who deals with PC on a regular basis,
says that packed column could be reused without any noticable change
of binding characteristics for more than a year. I've used the same
column for 6 times over past 5 month and see no difference (make sure to
equilibrate extensively before use!).

- Dima