Mutagenesis problems

Karen Kroeger karenmk at uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 14 04:42:28 EST 1996

Hi,

I have been uisng the Clontech Trnasformer-Mutagenesis Kit to introduce a
6 base pair mutation.  In the kit a mutagenic oligo is used. I have an
oligo 30bp in length, which contains 12bp matched either side of the 6
mis-matched base pair.  I have used to kit according to the protocol and
have done it several times, but have not had any success. I have tried
varying the amount of mutagenic oligo used, but to no effect.  I think
the mutagenic oligo may contain  a secondary structure which is
preventing it from annealing to the plasmid.  Does anyone have any
suggestions or changes to the standard protocol that will allow me to get
around this problem.  Or anyone that has had problems using the kit to
introduce this many base pair changes.  Any help or suggestions would be
great. Reply by email.

Thanks
 Karen Kroeger
PhD Student