Making 2% skimmed milk in PBS

Alix Helme-Guizon ahelme at lovelace.infobiogen.fr
Mon Oct 14 05:33:49 EST 1996

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Robert Willows wrote:

> We routinely use 15mM Sodium Azide in our 2% skim milk to stop bacterial
> growth. Although, I don't think you can do this if you use a HRP
> conjugated secondary because I think the azide is inhibitory.

sodium azide is very efficient against bacterial growth.
 i use only 0.00001% to keep sterile
my 10X buffer. After dilution and addition of milk (arbitrary amount,
about 2 spouns for 50ml, this doesn't matter), only trace of azide
will remain. I've never seen inhibition of my secondary antibody (ECL
chemiluminescence detection) by doing so. Neither did i see any bacteria
in my buffers!
i didn't try do stock milk solutions in that way but you can try.
regards,
Alix