Mitochondria Isolation

Mick Partis mick.partis at
Tue Oct 15 07:24:01 EST 1996

Delvac at (Delvac Oceandy) wrote:
>I have problem in isolating mitochondria from mammalian tissues (e.g. liver,
>kidney, muscle)
>My problem is in the homogenization of the tissue in isolation buffer
>If somebody has experience in isolating mitochondria, please tell me the
>best method to homogenize the tissue.
>Which one is better, using motor-driven homogenizer or hand operated
>homogenizer, to get a good yield and purity of mitochondria ??
>Delvac Oceandy
>Eijkman Institute
>Jakarta Indonesia
><delv at>

I used to homogenise by hand, and this will probably give you a better
yield of intact mitochondria than using a motor.  More important
however is the 'fit' of the teflon plunger in a Potter homogeniser.  If
the fit is too  tight, you will inevitably break mitochondria either by
shear forces, or by cavitation under the plunger.  How tight is too
tight?  That will probably be different for the different tissues you are
homogenising.  If you want intact 'coupled' mitochondria, you will have
to sacrifice yield.

mick.partis at         Horticulture Research International