oligos vs others

John Watson watson_j at bms.com
Tue Oct 15 16:14:23 EST 1996

Barney P. Crum wrote:

> I'm currently doing northerns using a 35mer oligo to probe for a specific
> RNA sequence.  I am having trouble getting the necessary signal generated
> and was wondering if other probes may work better for Northern hybridization
> (i.e. a larger probe or RNA probe).  I know that the mRNA is in high enough
> abundance to detect it using in situ hybridization.  Any ideas will greatly
> help.  Thanks.

The only time I probed a Northern with an oligo, I used a 43mer.  Not *much*
different from your probe.  It worked quite nicely, though the exposure time was
kinda long.  I calculated that the specific activity was 4x10E8/ug (I quoting
from the paper - no notes handy).  I'll send you my oligo hyb protocol if you
wish - it's ridiculously easy.

AJW
John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.