probe will not strip!

Michael Cooley szcooley at chip.ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 15 14:25:58 EST 1996

I know that I am not the only one who has this problem. If you keep the
membrane wet, you are supposed to be able to strip the probe, I cannot
remove it all. It is especially a problem if the probe was very hot, then
even if a small fraction is left it will be a problem. I have tried all
the stripping methods including NaOH. The probe is permanant. I use a
charged nylon memebrane and the Church/ high SDS method of hybridization
without BSA
and my strigency washes include 0.1 X SSC, 0.1% SDS, 0.1% Na
pyrophosphate. The membrane is wrapped in Scran wrap. Some one out there
must have figured this out.

Thanks for your help.

Michael Cooley