Silver sequencing

Gina Berardesco gbe392 at
Wed Oct 16 13:47:10 EST 1996

Hector Cruz-Lopez (pezmen at wrote:
> anybody using this protocol?  we just lost our radioactve materials license to
> budget cuts and need an alternative.  all responses will be appreciated - we
> are desperate!

> hector cruz-lopez
> fisheries genetics research lab

I used Promega's silver sequencing kit. It works pretty well, although I've
never used radioactive sequencing so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Anyways, it can be a little tricky, and you need about 20 liters of very
pure water (double distilled or milli-pure) each time you do it. Plus you
get results by the end of the day, which is nice.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions!