Qiagen Gel Spin Kit

Steven Goldberg goldberg at bms.com
Wed Oct 16 13:00:55 EST 1996

In article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.961014081810.13520C-100000 at morpheus.cis.yale.edu>, Jeff
Huckaby <huckabyj at pantheon.yale.edu> wrote:

> Netters
>         Has anyone used Qiagen's Agarose Gel Extraction Kit?
> I was wondering what the typically recovery yield is like and how does it
> work for DNA <500 bp.
> Thanks
> Jeff Huckaby

I recently switched from GeneClean to the Qiaquick Gel Extraction Kit.
The recoveries are quite good (>80%) for large and average sized
fragments, somewhat lower for smaller fragments (below 500 bp).  However,
the quality of the DNA seems to be much better that that from
GeneClean...no shearing and it performs very well for sequencing,
ligation, restriction analysis, etc.  I have had problems in these regards
using GeneClean-purified DNA.