how to fix a cell?

SCHMIDT_B at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU SCHMIDT_B at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Oct 16 09:50:01 EST 1996

Pleas forgive my ignorance and enlighten me...

I am lost in the variety of techniques available for fixing a cell for
immunofluoresnent staining. Methanol, ethanol, acetone, paraformaldehyde,
formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde. What is the differenece in the way of fixation?
Is there any chance to choose the right method on the basis of what you know
about your target protein or is it just trial and error?

Thanks for your thougts in advance,
Bela