Best way to clean cuvettes?

Achim Recktenwald, PhD achim at ibex.ca
Wed Oct 16 08:16:58 EST 1996

Matthew Parker wrote:

> Hi, folks! Does anybody have any suggestions about a good way to clean
> proteins out of quartz cuvettes? I have used concentrated nitric acid in
> the past, and also 3M HCl/50% ethanol (which doesn't seem to work as
> well, at least in my experience). Is there anything else that works well
> (say, 50% nitric)?

I keep my cuvettes all the time in a mild detergent. At the momoent I am
using Contrad 70 from Baxter.
For very hard to remove dirt, e.g., I 'inherited' some very dirty
specialty cuvettes, I put them into chromogenic-sufuric acid for a
night. You can buy small bottles with a chrome-salt solution you just
have to add to a normal bottle of sulfuric acid.

Achim