Current protocols on CD-ROM

Frank Daniels fdaniels at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Wed Oct 16 08:17:35 EST 1996

Andy Phillips wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering subscribing to Current protocols on CD-ROM. What is the
> general opinion of this product? Is it comprehensive and easy-to-use?
> Are the protocols reliable?
>
> By the way, when the quarterly updates arrive, is this a whole new CDROM
> with the complete manual on?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

I have used Current protocols for years and consider it the best lab
manual available for molecular biology.  It covers the majority of
methods commonly employed in great detail while giving introductions and
critical commentary throughout.  I find it indispensable and for the
amount of use that it gets, worth the rather lofty price.  It is also
nice to have a resource as important as this advance with the times.
New methods and corrections are ongoing.

I started with the text version until the CD became available.  The wear
and tear on the text was significant and the quarterly update process a
nuisance.  Now I get my quarterly CD, run the install, and very little
wasted time.  The search feature is very useful and saves a lot of page
turning.  The CD contains the entire manuals for all the Current
Protocol series so the old disk goes to the trash.

I hope this helps.

--
Frank Daniels
Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation