Best way to clean cuvettes?

Jesus Sanz cibsm1s at
Wed Oct 16 02:46:54 EST 1996

In article <3263EF78.3D54 at>,
Matthew Parker <parker at> says:
>Hi, folks! Does anybody have any suggestions about a good way to clean
>proteins out of quartz cuvettes? I have used concentrated nitric acid in
>the past, and also 3M HCl/50% ethanol (which doesn't seem to work as
>well, at least in my experience). Is there anything else that works well
>(say, 50% nitric)?

	I use Hellmanex II solution (from Helma) at 2% for at least
30 minutes, and usually overnight. For me it is enough to clean my
cuvettes in the 95% of the cases, taking into account that I always
have protein precipitation in my experiments. However, some proteins
still stick to the quartz and then I use 6M nitric acid overnight
or even "overweekend".

	Good luck