RT-PCR or purchase cDNA library?

Jim Hutchins hutchins at fiona.umsmed.edu
Wed Oct 16 12:34:32 EST 1996

Steven Goldberg (goldberg at bms.com) wrote:
: I am planning to screen a rabbit liver library for a gene.  I have
: sufficient information to make RT-PCR feasible and can buy poly A RNA
: prepared from this organ. Or I could get the cloned cDNA library and use
: it.  The poly A RNA is about 5-fold less expensive than a library, which
: is a consideration, but I have not had any experience with RT-PCR.  If
: someone has used this technique I would be interested in hearing your
: opinion and a recommendation for a kit if you were pleased with the
: results.  Is RT-PCR sufficiently reliable that someone who is familiar
: with PCR can use it without a long learning curve (time is somewhat of a
: factor)?

: Thanks for any responses.

: Steve

--
Jim Hutchins
Assoc Prof Anatomy, Asst Prof Neurology (Research), Univ Mississippi Med Ctr