(no subject)

Helen Haase h.haase at mailbox.uq.oz.au
Wed Oct 16 22:37:48 EST 1996

I've been successfully doing Northerns for some time looking at mRNAs
which range in size from 1-12kb.  The largest mRNA (12kb) has the lowest
expression level.  Recently I lost the ability to detect this message.
Using newly prepared probe (both cDNA and riboprobe) did not change the
situation.  I now suspect that the transfer procedure from gel to
membrane is to blame.  However I have not altered my protocol, which is
to do a capillary blot O/N from 10XSSC to a positively charged nylon
membrane (Boehringer Membrane).  All other targets I look for are
present in expected quantities.  Has anyone else experienced problems
with transfer of higher molecular weight RNA?  If so what are your
suggestions?

Science is such fun!!
Helen