DIG labelling and detection

Mary Clare Tracey seebelow at for.my.address
Wed Oct 16 21:55:43 EST 1996

ELIZABETH GALE wrote:

> Hi, I've had some problems with DIG labelling using random priming where I
> get a low yield of probe. I switched to a PCR labelling mix from Boeringer
> and it works really well (200ng/ul probe). You might want to give it a
> try.

I've used the Boehringer 3' DIG-labelling kit and have about 60-70%
recovery. The probes are never very 'hot' though and I always end up
having to use far more than the various methods suggest (at least
twice or more the number of pmols) to get a readable autoradiograph
result. This increases the cost and the irritation. How does this PCR
labelling mix work? Do you have to design your own primers to create a
probe? How small can the probe be (mine are usually around 20mers)?

Regards

MC