RT-PCR Question

Peter J Bartholomew pjb4 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 16 19:35:54 EST 1996

Hello,
As a minor part of my research project, I isolated total RNA from
estradiol-treated and control cells followed by RT-PCR.  This was done
to compare the mRNA levels of a certain gene.  Since the resultant
bands seemed of equal intensity following agarose gel electrophoresis
and ethidium bromide staining, I stated that the estradiol treatment
did not affect the mRNA levels.  In retrospect, I know I should have
done a northern, but was this conclusion still acceptable?
Thank you.