differential precipitation LiOAc ref

Ned Mantei mantei at neuro.biol.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 17 01:23:15 EST 1996

In article <326366E7.5A88 at biologie.uni-ulm.de>,
volker.knoop at biologie.uni-ulm.de wrote:

> Hi, there,
> Anybody having a good and detailed reference concerning the use of
> different salts and alcohols for differential precipitation of DNA and
> RNA (more than in Maniatis, 2nd)? I read a good summary somewhere
> sometime but I forget..
>         Most importantly, we routinely separate DNA and RNA in a first step
> with 2 M Lithium acetate - and now I need the reference for this!!
> Thanks for help

In the book "Fundamental Techniques in Virology", from about 1970 or so,
there was a description of using LiCl precipitation to precipitate RNA.
You might also look at Aufrey and Rougeon, Eur. J. Biochem 107:303-314,
1980 "Purification of mouse immunoglobulin heavy-chain messenger RNAs from
total myeloma tumor RNA".

--
Ned Mantei
Dept. of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology