Silver sequencing

Toumy Guettouche tguettou at newssun
Wed Oct 16 13:48:08 EST 1996

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Hector Cruz-Lopez wrote:

> anybody using this protocol?  we just lost our radioactve materials license to
> budget cuts and need an alternative.  all responses will be appreciated - we
> are desperate!
>
> hector cruz-lopez
> fisheries genetics research lab

Hi Hector,

I have attended one of Promegas Silver Sequencing Workshops. The results
I saw there were not terribly impressive. You get about the same
intensity (or sometimes less ) compared to 35S. The development and
handling of the gel seems to be more maticulous and I guess you need some
experience to get good results. you also need a special lightbox and film
that is a little  more expensive and big trays to submerge your gel.
However, Promega tried to tell us that in the long run, it will be cheaper
 to do SilverSequencing, compared to the radioactive method. This is in
my opinion , only true if you give up your licence completely,
like in your case. It is however faster than conventional sequencing.
Since you have not much choice I would ask them for a demonstration or at
least a demo kit.

Good Luck

Toumy