Qiagen Gel Spin Kit

John Dixon jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 17 05:46:51 EST 1996

In article <goldberg-1610961300550001 at 140.176.74.203>, goldberg at bms.com
(Steven Goldberg) wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.SOL.3.91.961014081810.13520C-100000 at morpheus.cis.yale.edu>, Jeff
> Huckaby <huckabyj at pantheon.yale.edu> wrote:
>
> > Netters
> >         Has anyone used Qiagen's Agarose Gel Extraction Kit?
> > I was wondering what the typically recovery yield is like and how does it
> > work for DNA <500 bp.
> > Thanks
> > Jeff Huckaby
> >
> I recently switched from GeneClean to the Qiaquick Gel Extraction Kit.
> The recoveries are quite good (>80%) for large and average sized
> fragments, somewhat lower for smaller fragments (below 500 bp).  However,
> the quality of the DNA seems to be much better that that from
> GeneClean...no shearing and it performs very well for sequencing,
> ligation, restriction analysis, etc.  I have had problems in these regards
> using GeneClean-purified DNA.

Has anyone figured out a way to recycle these columns? We use them for gel
extraction/PCR purification and a range of other stuff, but they're not
cheap.
Any tips out there?

--
John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk