stripping Southern blots

Volker Knoop volker.knoop at biologie.uni-ulm.de
Fri Oct 18 12:10:17 EST 1996

Pamela Lagali wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a protocol for stripping (nylon) Southern blots.  I
> have tried
> using a boiling 0.1% SDS solution poured over the blot
> Does anyone know of any HARSHER
> stripping procedures which I could try to attempt to remove what
> remains of the
> hybridized probe?

Ever thougt of alkali stripping by immersing the Southern in 0.2 M NaOH
for some 10 minutes (maybe twice)? Works quite nicely (of course not if
the probe has dried to you membrane) and even improves hybridization
sensitivity occasionally for the next hybridization

--
Volker Knoop     (volker.knoop at biologie.uni-ulm.de)
Allgemeine Botanik, Universitaet Ulm, 89069 Ulm, Germany