DNA extraction from frozen blood

Dr. J.P. Clewley jclewley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 18 10:55:23 EST 1996

mplewinska at earthlink.net (Magdalena Cano Plewinska) asked for an
extraction method from frozen blood.

I'd use a guanidium isothiocynate method. Dump the blood in and
extract lots of times.

On this topic I have a question of my own:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transport blood from Africa
to Europe and then extract DNA and PCR proviral DNA. Once the blood is
collected there will be no lab. facilities for centrifugation or
freezing (think jungle). It will just have to go in a tube (or whatever)
and be carried to the lab. in Europe. We can get the tubes containing
?GTC? or <your suggestion here> to the place in Africa where the
blood is going to be collected. Any ideas?

Jon Clewley
Virus Reference Division
Central Public Health Laboratory
61 Colindale Avenue