WWWtacg - Restriction Enzyme Analysis via the Web

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 18 17:16:13 EST 1996

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:15:21 +0000, Keld Sorensen <KeldS at uic.edu> wrote:

>I would compare it to planting a listening device in your
>office/laboratory/home....Highly illegal in most jurisdictions.

In the instance being discussed .... tacg comes with the full
source code AND the fact that tacg will send a UDP packet back to Harry
is clearly mentioned in the documentation that accompanies the source.
There are also specific instructions on how to disable this.

It is therefore trivial to compile tacg so that it does not send a
packet back to UDP port 29659 on mamba.bio.uci.edu (128.200.23.10).

I don't like the idea of sending what I consider "private" information
back either .... but you have the choice of not doing so, so perhaps
we should quit slamming Harry Mangalam.

I am redirecting this thread to "bionet.software", where it is
more appropriate, if it is to be continued.

Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Department of Oncology            email: aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin-Madison                  tel: (608) 262-6697