Stratagene Robocycler, optimizing long PCR

Fri Oct 18 03:02:52 EST 1996

	Thanks, Gary and others, for your comments!

In article <GaryTruett.1195928447A at PostOffice.PBRC.edu>,
Gary Truett <pntrue at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu> wrote:

[regarding my troubles with moving a PCR from a conventional thermal cycling
machine to the Stratagene Robocycler]

>Two easy possibilities that you didn't comment on:
>1.  Use plasticware from Stratagene.  Their tubes are designed to fit their
>heating blocks and other tubes may not perform as well.

	Hmmm.  O.K., I hadn't considered this.  I used the Perkin-Elmer
GeneAmp tubes that we use with our old TC-1 thermal cyclers (yes, we have
a few PCR machines in our lab -- two TC-1's and a 9600 -- we do a lot of
sequencing).  The folks who own the Robocycler may have a stash of Strata-
gene plasticware somewhere.

>2.  Be sure to add mineral oil to block 1 and to cover your reactions with a
>small amount of mineral oil.

	I did overlay my samples with mineral oil, but I did not add any min-
eral oil to the wells on block 1.  As the machine does not presently have any
oil in any of the blocks and the machine does not belong to our lab, I suspect
that this will not be a welcome suggestion... but I'll ask.

>Both of these suggestions are made in the Robocycler manual.

	Ah, yes!  The manual!  As I mentioned in the original post, my other-
wise helpful and generous colleagues have lost this important document.

--
Unique ID : Ladasky, John Joseph Jr.
Title     : BA Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley, 1989  (Ph.D. perhaps 1998???)