Mutagenesis Problems

heidi moss hmmoss at MAIL.MED.CORNELL.EDU
Fri Oct 18 15:38:34 EST 1996

Dear Karen:

		I experienced similar problems with the kit: I had 2
mutant oligos (each with a 5bp mutation flanked on each side
by 10 matched bp) + SalI selection mutant oligo that I had
to anneal  to a 6kb vector. My first 2 attempts were
unsuccessful. However, after the following modifications, I
can happily say, my mutants are now ready to go:

	1) INCREASED phosphorylation reaction time to ON (our PNK
    was old, so I also ordered new enzyme and buffer)
	2) 400M excess of EACH oligo
	3) ***DENATURATION: this step is CRITICAL and I was
surprised to read that Clontech only had a 3' denaturation
step. I boiled mine for 10' to increase the probability of
efficient denaturation.
	4) Ligase/Polymerase reaction: ON and at RT
	5) ETOH precip/concentration of DNA before each
transformation.

I hope this helps!!
--Heidi