PCR and loading solution

Mary Clare Tracey seebelow at for.my.address
Sun Oct 20 19:36:18 EST 1996

MELANSOND wrote:

> i find it hard to believe that one can add the dye and sucrose to the PCR
> reaction mixture without severely inhibiting the reaction, however, there are
> many things I don't know. So if this truly is possible I would like to hear
> about it as well.  In the meantime...  I would suspect that one should add the
> immediately before loading the gel.  The concentrations depend on the
> concentration of the stock loading dye (10 X, 6X etc), but one would ideally
> like to add 1unit of dye / 4 units of reaction volume, to achieve a final
> concentration ratio of 1:5.

I posted last week but I'm not sure if the post made it to the wider
ng. I use the dye Cresol Red in my PCR reactions. Stock Cresol Red
(CR) is made up at 10mg/ml. I add 25 microlitres CR to a final
mastermix volume of 750 microlitres. I also use glycerol in the PCR
reaction, 125 microlitres per 750 microlitres final volume. I use this
mastermix diluted 1:1 with the template DNA. I have never had any
inhibition of the reaction. I am using 10 microlitre PCR reactions and
load the entire reaction onto the gel. This method is routinely used
in many HLA Typing laboratories around the world and is very
effective.