Staining Northern Blots

Ed Schultz eschult1 at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 21 12:59:59 EST 1996

I have some northern blots that I have probed and I have tried to stain
them with Methylene Blue using the protocol in Sambrook, and it did not
work out for me. According to the reference in Sambrook--Methylene Blue
does not work for some of the more hydrophobic membranes.
Does anyone have any suggestions for staining my northerns to illustrate
RNA loading.

I've already probed with GAPDH and it worked fine--but I would still
like to stain the blots. I did not run any ethidium bromide in my gel.