DNA extraction from frozen blood

Magdalena Cano Plewinska mplewinska at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 21 16:29:35 EST 1996

jclewley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Dr. J.P. Clewley) wrote:

>>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transport blood from Africa
to Europe and then extract DNA and PCR proviral DNA. Once the blood is
collected there will be no lab. facilities for centrifugation or
freezing (think jungle). It will just have to go in a tube (or
whatever)
and be carried to the lab. in Europe. We can get the tubes containing
?GTC? or <your suggestion here> to the place in Africa where the
blood is going to be collected. Any ideas?<<

I'm not clear on what kind of tubes you'll be using to collect the
blood. In my experience, you can get a good DNA yield (as well as
viable lymphocytes for culture) from blood collected in ACP solution B
(yellow top) for at least a week after collection. The lab next door
uses these tubes to collect blood in the Caribbean and bring it back
to process in Miami without refrigerating. I can ask for you exactly
how they store it and what is the longest they have kept a tube and
still managed to get DNA. Let me know if you need the info.

   - Magdalena M. Plewinska, MD
     Genetics
     University of Miami, Miami, FL, USA