PCR primers for common plasmids

lou alarcon lha at med.pitt.edu
Tue Oct 22 12:38:39 EST 1996

You asked (some editing):
> ...Can anyone give me advice on primer design for PCR using these
> sites? Will the standard sequencing primers sequences work?
> If I do go with sequencing primers is it always cheaper to custom order
> them to buy them as sequencing primers? Why?

My opinion:
We use the "standard" sequencing primers for PCR.  Since we usually use a final
concentration of primer that is 10x higher for PCR than sequencing, its
best and cheaper to custom order them.  Also, check that your "standard"
primer sequences
are present in the various plasmid you use.

Louis Alarcon, MD
U of Pittsburgh
Dept of Surgery