help: virus purification problem

Min-Ho Lee mhlee at BRIC.POSTECH.AC.KR
Wed Oct 23 00:17:26 EST 1996

I have a problem in purification of an insect virus.
When viral particles were collected (as a white band) in sucrose
gradients (30%/60%), I transferred the band to a new ultracentrifuge
Then, I spun the tube at 100,000g for 1 hr. But, I have no get any
pellet. I thought that viruses have no spun down because of
sucrose buoyancy.
So, I allowed the solution at 4oC, overnight, stirred it roughly and
ultracentrifuge at 100,000g for 1 hr. But, I have no any pellet, too!

Is there anyone know about it?
Why virus particles were spun down?
What can I do for purification of the virus particles?

Your Sincerely, Min-Ho Lee
mhlee at
Web for the Korean Entomologist (my home page):
BRIC (Biological Research Information Center), POSTECH