EST-insert size

FABIAN MOEBIUS Fabian.Moebius at uibk.ac.at
Wed Oct 23 13:39:21 EST 1996

Discrepancy actual EST-insert size and length of the database
sequence

Dear collegues,
I recently posted a message that EST clones obtained from a Resource
centre did not contain any insert. Somebody suggested to order clones
from an another centre which worked nice because these clones
have inserts. But only one from five different ESTs carries an insert of the
expected size (0.5 kb) wheras the other inserts are larger (around
one kb).  I regret if the question is stupid, but do the EST people only enter
the size of the SEQUENCED DNA into the database and ignore the rest
of the clone.
If so why do they not give the insert size?
If not should I dump the 1 kb clones or are they worth further
characterization and sequencing.
Thanks
Dr. Fabian F. MOEBIUS
Institut fuer Biochemische Pharmakologie
Peter Mayr Str. 1
6020 Innsbruck
AUSTRIA
TEL ++43-512-507-3155