Size of the bacterial chromosomes

Yves Bertheau bertheau at
Wed Oct 23 12:54:37 EST 1996

I am looking for references, protocols and comments to estimate the
size of the chromosome of our enterobacteria.

As we plan to compare the size of several strains, previously grouped
into several clusters by the mean of neutral and selected markers, I am
particularly looking for a rapid technique (but also accurate and when
possible cheap).

Is PFGE appropriate for such a goal? Or microscopy? Or ?

Thanking you in advance for your help

Yves Bertheau, INRA INA P-G, Pathologie Vegetale, 16 rue Claude Bernard,
75231 PARIS cedex 05, FRANCE, Tel +33  or
Fax: +33 or 16.31, Internet: bertheau at