where to find a good vacuum pump?

Jeremy Marcus marcusj at helix.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 24 19:03:54 EST 1996

In article, SCHMIDT_B at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU wrote:

: Dear Colleagues,
:
: We would like to buy a vacuum pump for our gel dryer.
:
: I went around in our university to ask people about their pump, but what
: everybody said was: do NOT buy this pump.
:
: So, if this letter reaches the content owner of a dependable and
inexpensive vacuum
: pump (if this combination exists), please let me know.

Bela,

We've had fantastic results from the new BioRad HydroTech pump.  The one
downside is that it is probably too new a product to accurately assess
long-term reliability.  Still, we've been putting it through almost daily
usage (and often overnight runs) for several months now with no problems.
Also, there is no oil or diaphragm to replace with this pump, just water,
so it's not as much of a pain in the neck as other pumps.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy Marcus
Massachusetts General Hospital
Pathology Research Laboratory