Acetyl CoA for CAT

Martin Hughes mhughes at fhs.csu.McMaster.CA
Fri Oct 25 09:16:55 EST 1996

Hi everyone!
I recently started doing CAT assays from transfected cells.  The method I
am using is basically that as stated in Sambrook et al., using the 14C
-chloramphenicol and TLC assay procedure.
The assay calls for Acetyl CoA, which, according to the method, should be
made fresh each time.
This stuff seems to be pretty expensive, and the amount one gets is
tracingly small.
I have recently found that the 100mg quantity I bought (at CA$300+),
which should have lasted about 50 sets of experiments, only lasted for
about 10 - probably due to wastage in weighing out/stuck to the sides of
the bottle.
Has anyone found a cure for this problem?
Is it possible to dissolve the whole bottle and store it at -70, or under
Argon, or some such thing?
Also, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone is aware of any cheap(er)
sources of the chemical.

Cheers, and thanks in advance,

Martin

Martin Hughes