Double-transfection (stable) of COS-7 cells

Kevin Mulcahy K.Mulcahy at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 09:33:10 EST 1996

I have recently stably-transfected COS-7 cells with cDNA cloned in the
eukaryotic expression vector pREP9 (Invitrogen) which confers resistance
to G418/geneticin and is maintained in cells as an episome (since it
contains the origin of replication for EBV "OriP" and also expresses the
EBNA-1 gene necessary for vector replication via OriP). However, I have
been trying to transfect the "pREP9-transfected" COS-7 cells with
another cDNA cloned in another plasmid which confers resistance to
hygromycin. Such a double-transfectant should obviously be resistant to
both G418 and hygromycin and possess both pREP9 and pHebo as episomal
plasmids due to the expression of EBNA-1. However, I seem to be having
problems with this double transfection.

This second vector "pHebo" is similar to pREP9 in that it possesses
OriP, but it confers resistance to hygromycin (however, it does possess
the EBNA-1 gene). I was trying to think of possible reasons as to why it
is proving very difficult to generate the double transfectant. One
reason I thought of might be that the hygromycin resistance gene of my
plasmid may not be expressed in these cells. However, the hygromycin
gene in pHebo is driven by the same promoter as the G418 resistance gene
in pREP9 so you would expect the hygromycin-resistance gene to be
expressed also.

Another possibility may be that the cells were not able to support the
episomal maintainance of two different plasmids with the same origin of
replication? Does naybody know if this is likely in mammalian cells?

Apart from these two points I can't think of any other reasons why I
don't seem to be able to create a double transfectant. In terms of the
cells, they were extremely easy to transfect with the initial pREP9
(20-30% efficiency of tranfection using a B-gal reporter plasmid) and
the actual pREP9-transfectants are extremely easy to transiently
transfect too (again, 20-30% efficiency of tranfection using a B-gal
reporter plasmid). The hygromycin titration (to obtain the appropriate
dose of hygromycin for selection of double-transfectants) was performed
on the "pREP9-transfected" COS-7 cells in the presence of G418 so I
can't see why the selection conditions would be incorrect.

Therefore, I am at a loss! Does anyone have any other ideas as to why
the double transfection may not be working? I hope so.

Many thanks,

Kevin Mulcahy.