M13 Phage purification, How ??

Derek Parsonage dp at invader.bgsm.wfu.edu
Fri Oct 25 08:55:41 EST 1996

In article <zakaria-2310962111370001 at isdn92.stud.uni-hannover.de>,
zakaria at ita.fhg.de (Hayssam Zakaria) wrote:

> I am looking for a method to precipitate M13 phages. We are interested in
> the phage coat proteins and want to visualize them on SDS-PAGE.
> TCA-precipitation seems to result in a lot of degradation.
> How about ultracentrifugation ?? Anybody got a recipe ??

Try the PEG/NaCl precipitation described in any molecular biology
techniques manual (eg Maniatis) for preparing M13 phage DNA. I have used
PEG precipitation for enzyme preps and it works very well.

--
Derek Parsonage                        Wake Forest University
Dept. of Biochemistry                     Medical Center