PCR primers for common plasmids

Joseph C. Bagshaw jbagshaw at wpi.edu
Fri Oct 25 08:17:00 EST 1996

I use T3 and T7 promotor primers routinely for both sequencing and PCR.  I
have also used an SP6 promotor primer for PCR.  They all work fine.

Is there a difference in price between custom synthesis and the "gene
store"?  You bet your bp there is!  The last time I bought custome T3 and
T7 primers, about two years ago, I paid about $100 for about 0.5 mg (yes,
milligram) of each, delivered.  The price would be lower today.  The same
amount of the same primers from Stratagene would cost $44,000.  From New
England Biolabs, a mere $15,000.

BTW, be careful in designing the sequence for your primers.  For example,
there is a single base difference in the sequence of the T7 promotor in
pBluescript compared with NEB's plasmids, and it is exactly the 3'
terminus of the NEB T7 primer.  If you use the NEB catalog to design a
custom T7 primer, it won't work with pBluescript.  Been there, done that.

Joe Bagshaw, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
jbagshaw at wpi.edu
Roadkill on the information superhighway.