Histology-a 3 Run homer in the bottom of the 9th

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Fri Oct 25 06:33:33 EST 1996

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Archive wrote:

> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:58:40 -0500
> From: Archive <bijur.1 at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
> To: methods at net.bio.net
> Subject: Histology-a 3 Run homer in the bottom of the 9th
>
> Dear Fellow Researcher.
>
> My name is Gautam Bijur and I am in the last year of my Ph.D. program at
> Ohio State University.  I am involved in research in carcinogenesis and
> mutagenesis, but my real strength is in histology.  During the course of my
> studies many researchers and faculty members in my school have asked  for
> my help in their histology needs and due to this demand I have decided to
> market my skill to researchers outside of my university.  If you are in
> need of high quality histology (for research purposes only) such as simple
> hematoxylin-eosin staining or difficult immunohistochemistry as well as
> SSCP then I may be of help.
>
> Furthermore if you wish to take your histology a step further and would
> like computer assisted image analysis for the  quantitation of the
> intensity of staining, nuclear area and DNA ploidy then drop me a line.  I
> have recently published in this field and will gladly give you the
> references.
>
> So what is the benefit of using our services you ask.
>
> -If you are a lab not doing a lot of histology but require this for your
> research then save on hiring new personnel.
> -Save on downtime during training and setup of protocols.  We already have
> immunohistochemical protocols for cytokines, cell surface markers and
> proliferation markers.  These are in press or have already been published.
> -Save on cost of reagents.
> -If you are already doing histology then consider that most clinical labs
> have very slow turnover since they prioritize for clinicians.  Researchers
> generally do not get priority.  Our service has a turnover an average of
> one week.
>
> Our histology is of very high, publishable quality.
>
> In the near future look for our web page.
>
> If you are interested then answer this posting by e-mail and you will
> receive my prompt reply.
>  bijur.1 at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

What lab do you intend to use for this work? Does your Ph.D. supervisor
know about this plan? I would advise you to check the legality of your offer
before accepting jobs.

I once had a research assistant do work of his own in my lab (and using
my reagents, including controlled and radioactive sbstances!). Obviously,
the minute I knew, I fired him. Beware...

Dr. Louis H. Ferland
Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719