splitting cells

Richard P. Grant <MDE> rgrant at worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 07:48:17 EST 1996

Ferland Louis H. (ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA) gibbered:

} When I was a student, I was taught the main factor here is that serum is
} quite rich in protein and quenches the trypsin.

Quite so.

} [Ca2+] whether it inhibits trypsin, but I do know that it is required
for the
} integrity of desmosomes, structures involved in cell-cell cohesion. That

Ahem.  There are also focal contacts in cultured cells, where the actin
cytoskeleton connects to the extracellular matrix via integrins.  This
interaction is divalent-cation (Mg2+ particularly) dependent.  EDTA
chelates Mg2+.

For more info on focal contacts/adhesions, see my thesis at the molbiol
page given in my .sig.  Alberts also has a reasonably nice section on
them.

Richard

--
Richard P. Grant                 University of Oxford
Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology