Cloudy PAGE.

Shayan Sharif ssharif at uoguelph.ca
Sat Oct 26 16:20:32 EST 1996

Shayan Sharif (ssharif at uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: Ellie Ettehadieh (eettehad at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: : I have been running PAGE for the past six years.  I just moved to a new lab
: : and today I made up all my solutions and tried making a polyarylamide gel
: : to purify some DNA.  To my surprise my gel would polymerize but it would
: : look rather cloudy in a milky sort of way.  I was not able to figure what
: : the problem was.  Using different solutions of acrylamide or buffer or even
: : temed did not help.  Had anyone out there ever experience such a thing?????

: : Ellie..

: This can be caused by high proportion of acrylamide:bis in the solution.
: If you are using solutions with proportion of 19:1 (acrylamide:bis), you
: have already identified the culprit.

: Shayan

There was a mistake in my reply to this posting. Milky appearance of PAGE
gels is caused by high concentration of bis or LOW acrylamide:bis
proportion (e.g. 19:1).

Shayan