Yeast 2-hybrid artifacts

Herb Kasler herbk at mendel.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 28 22:57:31 EST 1996

I'm a grad student at Berkeley who recently spent a considerable
amount of time characterizing a yeast 2-hybrid-cloned protein-protein
interaction only to find out through the grapevine that others had
cloned it using totally unrelated baits :(  Another of my candidate
clones (which I had been excited about because I found a considerable
body of literature linking it to the process I'm studying -Hah!) was
also cloned by someone else who was working in a lab down the hall, no
less, with another unrelated protein. Both of these clones even passed
more stringent tests of interaction, like GST pulldown. Have you had
similar exasperating expieriences? If so, my question is this:
	Does anyone out there know of an internet resource which contains or
might contain a list of commonly encountered artifacts in the yeast
2-hybrid screen? Is there a 2-hybrid newsgroup? If no such resource
exists is anyone interested in creating one? I'll show you my clones
if you show me yours! :)
											Thanks $ your time,
								-Herb.