Help on gene reporter constructs

Darren Tyson tysondr at sluvca.slu.edu
Mon Oct 28 22:05:22 EST 1996

Hayden Henry wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm about to plunge myself into the world of gene reporter constructs and am
> looking for a bit of help. Does anyone know of a review paper, or book that
> would be a good starting point for designing a gene reporter construct to
> monitor expression of a specific gene in mice?? Any advice would be
> appreciated!! Please reply to my email rather than to the newsgroup:
>
>  Henry at ono.lincoln.ac.nz
>
> Cheers
> Hayden

I'm assuming you want to check for physical and temporal expression of
a particular gene in vivo.  Most reports I have seen use the beta-
galactosidase (b-Gal) gene under control of the endogenous promoter.
This
requires techniques similar to those used to create knockout mice which
is
no small undertaking.  If you want to look at the activity of a
particular
promoter, there are many companies which sell kits to assay promoter
activity
when plasmid vectors are transfected into cell lines (I recommend
Promega).

If you have more questions feel free to email me directly.

Darren
--
Darren Tyson, Grad Student Cell and Molecular Biology
Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO
tysondr at sluvca.slu.edu or darren at primary.net
http://scimart.com/darren/