PAGE equipment to do SSCP

Konstantin Krutovskii krutovsk at fsl.orst.edu
Mon Oct 28 16:09:03 EST 1996

Dear netters,

I am looking for good, reliable and easy to assemble PAGE equipment and
accessories to do SSCP (single strand conformational polymorphism) analysis.
I would appreciate it very much if you could name the best manufacturer or
company in terms of price and quality.

I would also appreciate all advice on the gel system, size / length of gel,
optimal number of samples to run, etc., as well as any hints on buffer and gel
contents (for instance, acrylamide/bis ratio), and on staining systems (silver
vs. radiolabeling vs. fluorescent).

I have found that many researchers use Protein PAGE apparatus instead DNA
sequencing systems to separate PCR-SSCP products.  They are shorter and
thicker, but may be easier to assemble.  Do they give resolution comparable
with sequencing gel?

I also wonder if there is any web site where I can inquire about SSCP.

Sincerely, Konstantin

krutovsk at ccmail.orst.edu