GST Antibodies

Wendy-Anne Smith wendy at ichr.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 29 02:20:44 EST 1996

In article
<Pine.OSF.3.90.961024110536.29247A-100000 at central.murdoch.edu.au>,
eburkala at CENTRAL.MURDOCH.EDU.AU (Evan Burkala) wrote:

> Hi,
>     I was just wondering if any of the many knowledgeable people out
> there have any idea about the presence of naturally occurring antibodies
> to the GST fusion protein coded for in the pGEX vector (Pharmacia)? I
> know it comes from S. japonicum but if one is to use a fusion protein for
> detection of antibodies to the fusion partner (protein of interest)
> what is the likelihood of GST antibodies giving false-positives in ELISA
> in many different animals and even humans. Some parasite experts may
> comment on the presence of antibodies to GST in natural Schistosoma
> infection.

Hi,

We routinely express our house dust mite allergens as recombinant
GST-fusion proteins.  We then use these preparations to look at IgE
reactivity in huse dust mite allergic individuals by dot-blot and W.blot
analysis.  We have found readily detectable levels of antibody in human
sera binding the GST portion of the fusion protein so we absorb the
antisera with the GST protein alone to remove this reactivity before we do
the analysis.  The other point is that the Der p 8 allergen, an allergen
isolated from the Dermatophagoides species of HDM and known to be bind IgE
in house dust mite allergic individuals is homologous to glutathione
transferase.  There exists therefore a possibility of cross reacitivity in
HDM allergic people.

Wendy.

--
Wendy-Anne Smith

TVW Telethon Institute for Child Health Research
(Company Limited by Guarantee)
Western Australia

Fax 61 9 388 3414