Hygromycin stability at both 37¡C and 4¡C?

Nikolai Chitaev nikolaic at IM.WUSTL.EDU
Tue Oct 29 11:53:42 EST 1996

Kevin Mulcahy <K.Mulcahy at sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:
> Does anybody know how stable the antibiotic Hygromycin B is at 37°C and
> also at 4°C in tissue culture medium? The reason I ask this is that one
> of the transfection guides which I have consulted warns that it is
> very unstable and only lasts for 2-3 days in tissue culture medium at 37°C
> and 2 weeks at 4°C. However, none of the other transfection guides
> mention this when refering to hygromycin B selection.
> Many thanks,
> Kev.
In my hands, hygromycin purchased from Calbiochem, stable at  4°C for
I have not tested it`s decline in activity pre-warming it to 37°C,
though. I think its neglegible, since stock (1X) medium containing
hygromycin could be handled for month (shattling from   4°C to  37°C
back and forth) without loosing activity.