Removal of carbohydrates from DNA preps

Claudia egreif at
Tue Oct 29 11:20:17 EST 1996

In article <326B2C8D.5554 at>, Farid jalali
<fjalali at> wrote:

> Can anyone offer suggestions on how to remove carbohydrates from
> cyanobacterial genomic DNA preps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Farid Jalali
> Dept. of Botany
> Erindale College
> University of Toronto
> Canada

You could run your DNA on a CsCl gradient or you could try CTAB
extraction. Make your DNA solution .7M Nacl, add 1/10 vol of 10% CTAB, .7M
NaCl, mix, heat at 65°C for 20 min, extract with an equal vol of
chloroform. Collect aqueous phase, carbohydrates should be at the

Hey, hey, hey, hey! It was the DNA.
Hey, hey, hey, hey! That made me this way.