Hey Molecular Biologists!!

Joe Miano jmiano at post.its.mcw.edu
Wed Oct 30 14:09:51 EST 1996

Many of us spend our days (and nights!) cloning, expressing and/or knocking
out genes that interest us.  Often times, however, we are too deep in the
trees and lose sight of what our gene's function is in the context of a
whole animal or even at the organ level.  I would be interested to know
what level of enthusiasm there is out there for studying the physiology of
your favorite gene.  If you are overexpressing a transcription factor that
regulates cardiac gene expression, for example, what effect does this have
on cardiac performance, blood pressure etc.?

Granting agencies are asking for more than molecular biology these days;
they want relevance to a physiological or pathophysiological process.
Within this context, would you be interested in learning physiology
techniques (blood pressure measurements, cardiac and smooth contractility,
shear stress, electrophysiology etc) in a 2-3 week course as a means of
broadening your knowledge base and enhancing your experimental research??

Please forward your thoughts and comments to jmiano at post.its.mcw.edu.

Thanks in advance!

Joe Miano

How many people would take a formal course in Physiology
--
The Love you take is equal to the Love you make--P. McCartney