Home-made fluorometer?

MELANSOND melansond at am.abru.cg.com
Thu Oct 31 15:28:52 EST 1996

***Hi,
***
***I'm thinking about making a fluorometer for myself. I'm not sure why the
***commercial ones are so expensive - is it the light source? Has anyone
***out there built one? In principle, it seems like a simple thing; any
***reason it couldn't be easily done with a half-decent machince shop and a
***pretty good knowledge of electronics (that would be my other half:)
***
***Any ideas? Suggestions?
***Thanks
***--
***Susan
***http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/s/sjhogart/public/home.html
***
***Louis Agassiz, about Lorenz Oken (1885) (quoted from S.J.Gould, 1977):
***"Constructing the universe out of his own brain, deducing from
*** _a priori_ conceptions all the relations of the three kingdoms
*** into which he divided all living beings, classifying the animals
*** as if by magic, in accordance with an analogy based on the
***dismembered body of man, it seemed to us who listened that the slow
*** laborious process of accumulating precise detailed knowledge
***could only be the work of drones, while a generous, commanding
***spirit might build the world out of its own powerful imagination."
Don't know the answer to any of these questions, but if you find out could you
email me Melansond at AM.ABRU.CG.COM because I would be interested in creating
such a creature of my own. (We are already trying to do the same for a
transilluminator ($50-$100 vs $1200-$2000)