Help needed: viscous bacterial culture

Hiroyoshi Ohba ohba at rs.noda.sut.ac.jp
Mon Sep 2 04:50:57 EST 1996

Dear Netters;

Culture of XL1-Blue which was transformed with pBluescript derived vector
got so viscous that cell was hardly separated from culture medium.  I guess
that gummy material is mucous polysaccharide.  I used Super Bloth (1% MOPS
pH7.4, 3% bacto-tryptone, 2% yeast extract) supplimented with 1mM IPTG and
50 microgram/ml ampicilin and the culture was maintained at 30 degree.
Possibly rich medium tends to induce production of nongrateful material.
This is not caused by the vector itself, but due to its insert DNA because
same vector with other insert did not make culture sticky.  How can I
separate E. coli from viscous culture medium, or avoid viscous culture, or
remove or digest viscous staff from the culture?  Thank you for your help.

regards,

Hiroyoshi Ohba, Ph.D.
Department of Biological Science and Technology
Science University of Tokyo
2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278, JAPAN
Phone; +81-471-24-1501 ext. 4429
FAX; +81-471-25-1841