Qiagen: This is ridiculous

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Tue Sep 3 08:09:21 EST 1996

In article <50gpsl$iu9 at ukwsv3.ggr.co.uk>,
Fraser Dr N J  <njf16154 at ggr.co.uk> wrote:
>iayork at panix.com (Ian A. York) wrote:
>
>>if I was just subcloning or putting it into yeast, I'd stick with
>>The Other Company entirely, because it's cheaper and gives more DNA more
>>consistently.
>
>... and the other company was ????

Primm Labs' DNA kit.  The maxi-prep kit has given me consistently good
yields.  The quality is acceptable - I routinely do an ethanol
precipitation on the final product, both to concentrate it a little bit
(the final volume otherwise is about 2 ml; that's okay if you're using a
high-yield plasmid, where you'll end up with around 1 mg, but with a
low-copy plasmid and particularly the expression vectors I've been using
you're looking at a total of maybe 250 - 500 ug DNA) and also to clean it
up a little more.

I've no doubt there are other kits that are just as good, but Primm labs
has an arrangement with our Central Stores, so I just have to walk
downstairs to get new kits.

No affiliation.

Ian